Aluminum Group chairs were originally developed in 1958 as a special project by Ray Eames for a private residence being designed by Eero Saarinen and Alexander Girard. At the time, the furniture was called the "leisure group," or "indoor-outdoor group" since it was meant to address the lack of quality outdoor furniture on the market.
The seat-back suspension was a major technical achievement and represented a departure from the concept of the chair as a solid shell. Wonderfully comfortable, strong, yet lightweight, the chairs became the basis for several other Eames designs, including the Soft Pad chairs.
Design Charles & Ray Eames®, 1958
Made by Herman Miller®
"To whom does design address itself: to the greatest number, to the specialist of an enlightened matter, to a privileged social class? Design addresses itself to the need." -Charles Eames